Thursday 3 March 2016

The Ghost of Green Lane

Green Lane


I was heading towards the shops one evening, in December. It was only about 5 PM, but because of the time of year, it was already quite dark. Nevertheless, I decided to walk through the lane, which is quite creepy and enclosed by trees and shrubbery. I usually avoid this route at all costs when I have to walk home at night, but it was only early evening so I wasn't put off. 

I quickly changed my mind though, when I approached the lane, I saw a shadowy figure standing in the path under the street lamp. I didn't get a good look at them but it looked like they were waiting for someone. Feeling uneasy, I chose to go in the opposite direction of the one I was intending, and decided to head towards the main road. 

After briskly walking several paces, I glanced over my shoulder. To my horror, the figure was only standing a few feet away! It looked like they had followed me, then stopped.  

Of course after that, I started running. Eventually I made it to the main road and continued on my way, putting the panic I felt to to the back of my mind.  

Then, just the other night, after having a meal with some friends, I found out about an urban legend of a ghost that haunts the lane and how it had warded her friends away from danger once. This triggered my memory of that evening and how upon seeing the figure in the lane, my first instinct was to change the route I was intending on travelling in...

(Originally written in 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment